Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Sticky Icky Icky

Oh, you should have seen us today. We were quite a mess. It all started with me having the great idea of eating Sonic for lunch. My son had woken up late from his morning nap and I had planned all morning to go to Target as soon as he got up. By the time he got up, I wasn't sure we would have time to make it to the store and eat lunch before nap time. My solution: lunch in the car. My daughter ordered a cheeseburger, apple dippers and a lime slush. She insisted on eating the hamburger whole, not broken into pieces. I let her because I do like to encourage decision making. Plus, I can handle a little mess. Which is obvious because I then let her hold her own lime slush as well. I wasn't so sure how the caramel dip would do in the car so I told her we could take it into Target and eat it in the buggy. Of course, she didn't eat much of her burger because she was so interested in the slush. And I didn't argue too much. I am not a big fan of pushing food. So, when we arrived at Target I just decided to take the whole Sonic bag inside and try to convince her to eat a little more while we were on the go. As I was getting her out of the car, I had to pick onion and pickle off of her chest. And then, after I had gotten her and my purse and bag in the cart I realized I had parked too close to the shopping cart holder and couldn't get the baby's car seat out. I pushed my buggy in front of the car, took my daughter out, and reparked the car with her in my lap. Second try was a charm. As soon as we got inside, I opened the caramel and proceeded to spill half of it in my daughter's lap. Sticky, icky caramel all over her lap. She naturally immediately stuck her hands in it. I had no wipes so I then stuck my hand it. Oh well. Just a little caramel. But then as she dipped her apples in the caramel she dropped her apples in the container and was fishing them out with her hands. Now there is caramel on both hands. And caramel on both hands means caramel on the face, in the hair, on the shopping cart, and all over the Father's Day card we had picked out. Time to be done with caramel. So I dug out the burger and ripped a piece off with my fingers. Now I have burger stuck to my fingers and no where to wipe that either. Just when I thought the two of us couldn't get any stickier, my daughter dumps her lime slush. At least it was time to check-out. As I was loading my stuff onto the conveyor belt, I hear the lady behind us talking to my daughter, "Wow, that's a sticky mess. It must be good!" I look at her a little embarrassed and ask, "Did she drop something on the floor?" "No," she replied, "I just noticed your hands." Wow. She noticed how gross I was. Embarrassing. And then, to top it all off, as I was backing out of the parking lot, I hit the buggy that I had left sticking out just a little too much because I was too lazy to walk over and fix it. Finally, we made it home. After nap, we decided to go outside and play for a few minutes before dinner. When my daughter came over to me, she was covered in black dirt, showing where every sticky spot of caramel had been that I had failed to wash off. Sticky, icky mess. But at least we got home in time for nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment