Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Short Books

So, I have spent my whole morning wondering what I should blog about first. I seem to have so many things I could confess. In fact, I have starting writing down some ideas because I don't want to forget all of the things that pop into my mind during the day. How do I pick which one is right for today? I still haven't decided exactly how I will go about this blogging business. Should I confess things just as they happen, on a day-to-day basis? Or should I just write about things as they come to me. I think for now, I will just start with today.

I will start by saying, that I truly do believe that reading is one of the most important things we can do with our children. I believe our houses should be full of books. All kinds of books. Our kids should see us reading, we should read with our kids, and we should give them opportunities to read to themselves. That being said, my nap time routine with my daughter includes reading two or three books. I usually let her pick one book and I pick a book. As anyone who has a two year old knows, bedtime is full of sneaky ways to postpone that moment when Mommy leaves and nap time officially begins. This is no different at our house. So today, after we had gotten upstairs, used the potty, put on a pull-up, gotten a drink of water, retrieved the stuffed animal we left downstairs the first time, picked up the room (my daughter is a little obsessive and likes to pick up her room even when I would rather not), closed the blinds, and finally gotten into the bed, my precious time alone was ticking away. My son was asleep and had been for almost 30 minutes already! He only sometimes naps more than an hour! I had to hurry and get downstairs for just a few minutes alone! So, I picked the shortest book I can find. You know the kind with only a few words on each page. But, to my disappointment, my daughter had picked a really long book - a collection of poems! So, I did what every good mother would do. Instead of complaining about her choice, I read only the first few lines on every page and was done in just a few minutes flat! Lights off, sang a few quick songs (none of those long ones), and here I am, sitting on the couch, blogging - with both kids asleep!

1 comment:

  1. Girl, you gotta do what you gotta do!!

    I agree with you about books. Zack loves reading so much that taking away his night time books is the worst punishment ever. We feel so terrible doing it, but it's the only thing that works with him. He gets 4 a night before bed, and the last two days he's lost all 4 books. Guess what kind of week we're having?

    ReplyDelete