Sunday, June 13, 2010

Late night snacks

Last night went a little something like this. Around 7:30, I started the bedtime routine with my 5 month old. I gave him a bath and put him in jammies. I attempted to read a book but he immediately began squealing and arching his back. Gave up on the books. Straight to nursing. After nursing him, he wasn't asleep yet so I tried rocking and singing. Again, arching his back and squirming off of my lap. So, we walked around and sang a few songs and then I put him in bed awake. He fussed for a few minutes and went to sleep by about 8:15. (Notice that he CAN fall asleep on his own). I guess that is my first confession of the day. I know that the experts recommend a bed time of around 7. And some nights, that is possible. But let's be honest. Saturday night is too busy to have the baby in bed by 7. I didn't even have our take-out at home until almost 7. Anyway, I finally went to bed around 11 and was not surprised to hear the baby start crying around midnight. 4 hours, right on cue. Every night I go to bed swearing that tonight is the night I am going to let him fuss for at least 10-20 minutes before I get him. I have to give him a chance to fall asleep on his own. But then every night I last about 3 minutes. I am just so sleepy and I know if I just go in and nurse him, he will back asleep in no time and I can go back to sleep, too. So, that is exactly what I did. And I then I did it again at 3:30. And that is what I do every night. Now, you have to understand that I have read all the books about sleep - The Sleep Lady, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child, and Sleep Sense. I am well aware that I am not supposed to be nursing my child back to sleep. I am supposed to try other soothing methods, like singing and rocking and rubbing his back. Really!?? Really!?? Who does that? Is that really a successful method for other mothers? I have tried. I have tried sending my husband in. I have tried not picking him up. I have tried everything. But in the middle of night I really don't have the ability to do what I am supposed to do if it isn't working, quickly. And so, I will continue to take the easy route and nurse him to sleep. But only after I wait at least 10 - 20 minutes. This time I mean it.

No comments:

Post a Comment