Friday, July 2, 2010

Open doors

I locked my daughter in the bathroom yesterday. No, she didn't lock herself in the bathroom. I locked her in the bathroom. But not on purpose. She was using the potty and decided that she wanted some privacy. I thought that was a reasonable request so I shut the door and went about my business in the kitchen. After a few minutes, I decided to check on her. I walked over to the door and turned the handle. The handle didn't turn. My first reaction was panic. "Oh my gosh! My daughter is locked in the bathroom and I don't have a key!" Immediately I thought of what would be even worse than locking her in there in the first place - calling my husband. I am sure he would be thrilled to get the phone call that I had not only locked our little girl in the bathroom, but that he might have to come home to rescue her. Oh no. I had to come up with a plan. So, I casually call in to my daughter, "Hey Sweetie. I can't open the door. Are you done? Can you get down from the potty?" This was the first problem. My daughter inherited my short legs and I was pretty sure she couldn't get off by herself. But of course, being a very independent 2 year-old, she replied, "Yes, Mommy. You can't open the door?" "No, Honey. Can you open the door?" Yeah, right. Not only does she also have short arms that barely reach above her head, but we have also purposely omitted any lessons in opening doors. I seriously dread the day she can get out of her bedroom on her own. Any way, I knew she wouldn't be able to get herself out so I had to have another plan. Well, thank goodness for chopsticks. I went to the kitchen, dug a chopstick out of the bottom of the drawer, stuck it in the doorknob, and it popped open! "I not done Mommy! Close the door!" So, I left again but, this time I didn't latch the door - just closed it most of the way. When she was done, I helped her off the potty and left the room again, pretending to close the door behind me. My daughter happily swings the door open, so proud of herself. "I did it Mommy!" "Yes, you did! Good job!" And I let her believe she had learned how to open the door all by herself. We'll save that lesson for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment