Monday, August 30, 2010

Those Magical Numbers

As a mother of two young children, I have to confess something: I don't really like having a newborn. Don't get me wrong. There isn't much better than holding your sweet, tiny newborn in your arms. I have felt overwhelming love for both of my children from the moment they were born. In fact, I felt that love the whole 9 months I carried them in my tummy.

But, I can still admit that having a newborn is one of my least favorite things. When I found out I was pregnant with my second child, I was most overwhelmed by the thought of having another newborn so soon. I felt like I had just made it out of the dark ages. In fact, I had just made it out. My daughter's first birthday was the day of my LMP, and therefore, the beginning of the 40 week countdown to a newborn. And for me, the first birthday is a major milestone.

Once my son was actually here, and I was walking him around the house for the one-hundredth time, I remember thinking, "If we can just make it to 3 months, things will get easier." And we did, and they did. And although I try to cherish every precious moment with my children because I know they will grow up too fast, there is a secret side of me that lives for those first year milestones; one step closer to that fabulous first birthday.

3 Months: The first of the great milestones. This is the point (in theory) that fussiness starts to slow down. Finally, my babies are happier for more than 5 minutes at time. This means fewer trips walking around the house, bouncing the baby, and maybe a few dinners actually sitting at the table.

4 Months: Old enough (according to some people, me included) to let a baby cry-it-out when going to sleep. That doesn't mean Mommy is ready, but at least you don't have to feel as guilty when you turn the monitor off just for a few moments of silence.

6 Months: Half-way there! Probably sitting up. This may seem like a tiny accomplishment, but it means so much as a mother. Finally, you can set the baby down, even on hard floors. They can ride in the grocery cart and sit in high chairs! Hard to explain why this is so great; trust me, it is. And solids are great too. I am finally not the only source of food and that is so freeing.

8 Months: It just gets better! I really do love 8 months! This is the moment when you start to realize that your baby is understanding LOTS. Their personality starts to shine and are easily entertained. Plus, finger foods start about now. Sometimes you just need to be able to occupy a baby with a graham cracker.

1 year: All the hard work has paid off. Baby is starting to communicate, eats regular food, drinks regular milk, sleeps through most nights, and is endlessly entertaining.

And it just gets better. Everyday is better than the last. In fact, today is really fantastic - my son is 8 months old today. I can't believe we made it, but here we are. Although I look at his newborn pictures and wonder where my little baby has gone, I can't help but be pretty happy right where we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment